More than 95 percent of county residents indicated education is the best use of their tax dollars and county resources, making our schools the number one priority to Albemarle citizens—and to us.
Broadus Wood is part of the Northern Feeder Pattern. Students continue to Jouett Middle School and will graduate from Albemarle High School.
Broadus Wood's Vision
Our School is a dynamic learning community that fosters academic excellence, character development and life skills that will empower students to succeed. Students will develop a love of learning; learn to work collaboratively and independently; and demonstrate respect, appreciation, and awareness of others.
Located in the rural Earlysville area of northern Albemarle County, Broadus Wood Elementary School serves 261 students in kindergarten through fifth grade with a faculty and staff of 45 members. It was founded in 1905 on land donated by Mr. Broadus Ira Wood from a small section of his farm. Three one-room schools (Sandy Bottom, Longwood, and Happy Hollow) merged to create what was originally called "Earlysville High School." The one-story frame structure opened in 1906 and held 52 students, a principal, two teachers, and a 10-stall stable where students could park their horses after the 3-7 mile journey to school. When it burned down in 1935, the middle section remained somewhat intact and was transformed into Broadus Wood, which later became an elementary school with the opening of Albemarle High School in 1953.